Monday, August 25, 2014

Naked Feet & Peach Cobbler...A Yummy Combo!

Act #48 - I am friends with a guy, Rick Cope, on Facebook and he is all the time posting about benefits that they are throwing for different people. Most of the time they are motorcycle rides but he ALWAYS has a huge turnout, rain or shine. Well, I happened to catch a post about a benefit they were hosting for a friend of his, Joe Pothier, who is currently battling cancer. They were starting out at the Beer Barrel in Marietta, riding to a few more locations and then ending back at the Beer Barrel where they were going to have a band, raffles, food, etc. The location was supplying the meat for the BBQ lunch and they were looking for people to donate sides and desserts. I offered to make some pans of peach cobbler...something quick, easy and can feed a crowd! So that Saturday morning I woke up, made 3 pans of cobbler and met a lady at their church so she could take them down there. I have to admit, it was really hard not to take a big spoonful out of one of them!

 
 
Act of Kindness #49 - When it comes to babies, you should know that my heart melts...so when I heard that someone was struggling just to buy the basic needs for their baby, I immediately hit the grocery store and the baby aisle and tried not to buy everything in sight. After all, my husband might just kill me if I zeroed out our bank account! We did get baby food, snacks, diapers, wipes, juice and some baby detergent. I also hit up my friend Anna who has a little girl to see if she had any clothes she could spare since she has a daughter that was born in the same season. She more than helped me out by donating a couple of bags worth of pajamas, shirts, pants, blankets, etc. I forgot to take pictures of all of the clothes, but there were a ton! I packed everything up and took it to them and they were so grateful! I have to say, babies may melt my heart, but give me a baby with some fat rolls like the Michelin Man and you might as well just stick a fork in me!

 
Act of Kindness #50 - Like I said above, I love me some babies...but learning that a family lost their baby unexpectedly is truly heartbreaking. Around Easter this year I saw a picture come across my Facebook page that a friend of mine had liked. I was not friends with the girl that posted the original picture, but since a friend of mine "liked" it, it showed on my page. It was a beautiful Easter picture of a mother holding her son all dressed up in their pastel colors. Just a couple of days later, this same friend was posting about her friend losing their baby to SIDS...it took me just a minute to figure out it was the same baby I had just saw the beautiful picture of on Easter and I just started tearing up. I didn't know this family at all, but my heart was broke. This precious little boy was just 9 months and 11 days old. I just couldn't imagine the heartache that this entire family was going through! A couple of weeks later I saw that the family had set up a foundation in honor of their son AJ called The Naked Feet Foundation. They were collecting shoes to be able to provide a pair for every child that needed them. I immediately sent out an email to a couple of people and was able to buy a few pair to donate to their wonderful foundation. I just saw their Facebook page that said they have received over 1,000 pairs of shoes so far. It is so amazing that this little boy made such an impact on everyone in such a short amount of time. I know he is proud to be a part of something so great and his parents are amazing for turning such a tragedy into something truly wonderful in his honor!
 





 
 
  

2 comments:

  1. I think I've said this a thousand times, but I don't care, I'm going to say it again...you are amazing. And what you are doing is amazing. I am so thankful to have you as a friend. I just wanted to make sure you knew that. I love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am so thankful to have you as a friend too!! We had so much fun the other night and definitely need to do that more often...maybe at our house next time so you guys aren't doing all the work haha. Love you too and hope you are having a good week so far :)

    ReplyDelete