Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Angel Gowns - Act of Kindness #45

I have been completely slacking on updating this blog with my Acts of Kindness...but, better late than never I guess!

I had some help from 2 awesome ladies, Chelsea and Whitney, on Act of Kindness #45. I found an article (read here) about a lady that started a program called NICU Helping Hands Angel Gowns that makes gowns for babies that do not make it out of the hospital. The gowns are made from donated wedding dresses and they are given to families whose baby may have been stillborn or passed from complications. Here are a few samples of ones that they have made:

 
 
 
It was especially touching to me after following a blog  (Oh Baby, Baby) in which Holly describes her struggles to get pregnant, going through IVF, treatments, miscarriages and having to deliver and lose her twin babies at 18 & 21 weeks because of complications. Having to plan your child's funeral is hard enough, but the thought of parents having to bury their babies and not being able to find something decent to bury them in is just heartbreaking. After deciding I wanted to donate my own wedding dress, I posted on Facebook asking if anyone else would like to participate. Chelsea and Whitney both responded and wanted to give theirs as well. I have not sent them off yet because as I was looking up the mailing info, I found out that they need to be cleaned first before sending them...so I still have to get that done (and cleaners want a small fortune to do it!). Below are pictures of the dresses that will be mailed to the foundation (the pictures taken on my phone certainly don't do them justice!). I plan to add a note to each to see if they can email/send pictures of the dresses they make from these. I know all of us would love to see what our dresses were able to be turned into. Thank you so much ladies for donating your dresses!!!

 
 
 
This was my wedding dress...a little wrinkled after being stored inside the garment bag and in my hope chest for 8 years!
 

 
 
 The dress above came from Chelsea. I love the beading along the bottom of the dress. They will be able to make a beautiful dress with that!

 

 

This one was from Whitney. The blue would be perfect to add to a dress for a baby boy and I loved the bead work on this one too!
 

Whitney also donated her flower girl's dress

No comments:

Post a Comment